Re: audio restore functionaility

On 20/07/15 01:04 PM, Brian wrote:
On Mon 20 Jul 2015 at 17:35:43 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

On Monday 20 July 2015 17:13:48 Brian wrote:
On Mon 20 Jul 2015 at 10:53:33 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
On 20/07/15 10:20 AM, William Hadfield-Burkardt wrote:
I'm new to Debian.

Someone else configured the system for me. It was running o.k.

Then I downloaded and installed (using the synaptic package
manager) a speech recognition software (pocketsphinx). I removed
it without ever having used it.

Now the audio does not work. Neither in the browser (iceweasel)
nor with VLC media player.

Is there a straight-forward "restore" function for the relevant
software?

William
Yes. You can switch to root, purge then reinstall the sound package
(pulseaudio). However, I'd first recommend making sure the output
volume wasn't simply turned down.

If it wasn't, I'd then suspect that pocketsphinx didn't restore the
old settings when you removed it. Try running LC_ALL=C.
The solution to every audio problem is not purging pulseaudio. Have you
looked at the software in question? It depends on libc6 and three
libraries. Installing the package doesn't alter anything as there are
no maintainer scripts run. Purging it does not mute previosly unmuted
channels (as shown by alsamixer).

Installing pocketsphinx and now having non-working audio are unrelated.
It is possible, is it not, that pocketshinx mutes something by default and
hasn't unmuted it?
Only in the sense that it is possible there are fairies at the bottom
of my garden. :)

More seriously: the OP never ran the program. The installation-purging
cycle is easy enough for anyone to carry out and observe the effect on
the audio system. My test was on a machine without pulseaudio. The
result was negative.
I wouldn't go that far. Purging and reinstalling is a tactic that sometimes works - especially when a package is messed up. However I did tell the OP to check the mixer first.