Re: audio restore functionaility

On Mon 20 Jul 2015 at 17:35:43 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Monday 20 July 2015 17:13:48 Brian wrote:

> > > Yes. You can switch to root, purge then reinstall the sound package
> > > (pulseaudio). However, I'd first recommend making sure the output
> > > volume wasn't simply turned down.
> > >
> > > If it wasn't, I'd then suspect that pocketsphinx didn't restore the
> > > old settings when you removed it. Try running LC_ALL=C.
> >
> > The solution to every audio problem is not purging pulseaudio. Have you
> > looked at the software in question? It depends on libc6 and three
> > libraries. Installing the package doesn't alter anything as there are
> > no maintainer scripts run. Purging it does not mute previosly unmuted
> > channels (as shown by alsamixer).
> >
> > Installing pocketsphinx and now having non-working audio are unrelated.
>
> It is possible, is it not, that pocketshinx mutes something by default and
> hasn't unmuted it?

Only in the sense that it is possible there are fairies at the bottom
of my garden. :)

More seriously: the OP never ran the program. The installation-purging
cycle is easy enough for anyone to carry out and observe the effect on
the audio system. My test was on a machine without pulseaudio. The
result was negative.