Re: mplayer "Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file"

On 07/18/2015 at 04:38 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> Where did you get this mplayer from?
>>
>> I compile MPlayer myself, and I'd expect this to happen when the
>> copy of MPlayer in question was compiled against libvdpau_nvidia
>> but that library has been uninstalled (or when the compiled
>> mplayer binary has been moved to another computer, which doesn't
>> have the library).
>>
>> The only 'mplayer' binary I can find in current Debian is from the
>> mplayer2 package, and since you specified '(mplayer1)' I presume
>> that isn't the one you're using.
>
> I did not compile it myself but got both from the Debian repos:
>
>     i   mplayer   - Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
>     i   mplayer2  - Advanced general-purpose video player
>
> My /etc/apt/sources.list is:
>
>     deb     http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
>     deb-src http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

This is an official Debian repository, which includes mplayer2 but not
mplayer...

> deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie main non-free

...but this is not one of "the Debian repos". It's an independent
repository, maintained by a third party; it is not officially part of
Debian. This is stated explicitly at
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia and
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/FAQ.

If you have problems with a package obtained from there, you probably
need to contact the person who maintains that site and builds its
packages. If you're lucky, you might find someone here who also uses
that repository and knows its ins and outs, but I wouldn't bet on it.

--
   The Wanderer