Re: msmtp Questions

Bob Bernstein writes:
> At some point in this process try using your POP credentials (username
> martin, password martin's pop password) when trying to send. Y'know, when
> suddenlink told you that 'martin' had been already taken as a username for
> smtp, of course it had, by YOU, for your POP account.
>

> Just a thought. I'm just sayin'.

Good idea, but I can answer the easiest question first. The name
that originally setup this account is based on my wife's user
ID. I first tried martin@suddenlink.net and the system let me
type it in then ate it a few seconds later and popped up a
message saying that this user ID is unavailable. It did that
same thing to attempts to register a couple of other UID's
before liking martin.m. Those credentials work without fail when
retrieving messages via fetchmail and one must use the same
credentials with the smtp host as one does to retrieve mail.

Just the same, you caught me on one thing. the full user name is
the full email address and I was just using martin.m. Fixing it
changed nothing.
The following is a partial quote from Suddenlink's instructions
to pop and smtp users. This is the part that applies to what
doesn't yet work:

                               SMTP (outbound)

                         Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.suddenlink.net
                         Outgoing mail port: 25 or 587
                         Outgoing mail port (SSL): 465

   Note:Username: your full email address, including the @domain.net at
   the end (i.e. @suddenlink.net)

   Password: The password set to your particular email address
   Outgoing server verification must be enabled and on.  If your email
   client has the option or checkbox that says "My outgoing server
   requires authentication" this will need to be checked along with "use
   same settings as my incoming mail server."

   If the email client asks for Clear Text Authentication, check "yes".

It looks like you log in in the clear and then encryption is
used to send the mail.

	If you start using port 465 or anything but 25 or 587,
it just hangs until the next big bang or I get bored waiting.