Re: Comments on Lenovo desktops

On 7/13/2015 3:54 AM, Dan Keast wrote:
Hi all,

I'm currently considering buying new hardware too, if Lenovos have become a spyware delivery tool, is there a happy medium between them and the gluglug Libreboot X200?

Cheers,
Dan

On 13 July 2015 at 02:12, Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
Hi Lisi,

On 13/07/2015 8:48 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> But I don't like the loook of this:
> Trusted Platform Module (TPM 1.2) Security Chip
> Again, comments please.

I would be more concerned Lenovo for other reasons; helping customers
with spyware MITM SSL certs.... for that reason alone, even though it
was in the Windows world, I would be wary of supporting Lenovo ever
again.  They are not the same as IBM once was.

I wouldn't be worried about spyware too much, there were only a few models that had the bad stuff,
none of the Think* stuff had it. The models that did have it all shipped in a three month period.

They dealt with the situation pretty quickly, provided a removal tool, and are not likely to want a
repeat of that fiasco.

I have seen a couple different things on the cheap Lenovo desktop systems.

One type of system the CPU is soldered on the motherboard, uses laptop RAM, has one PCI expresss
slot that can be used for a Video card or other PCI express card, and uses an external power adapter
like the power adapters the laptops take.

I would not get one of these for myself, but if it fits your needs, it seems like a decent system and at
least in the US you could probably get a replacement power adapter at Batteries Plus.

The other type of system is similar, but has an internal power supply, but it does not have the normal
power connections that an off the shelf ATX power supply has and not like any of the power supplies
I have seen for your standard Mini-ITX systems either. No 24 pin to the motherboard, no SATA, no
molex. The internal drives have power cables that run from the motherboard to the drive.

That makes it more questionable how easily/quickly you can get a replacement if you have to replace
the power supply. Also makes testing power issues a problem if you don't have a spare around.

So I would try to find out what type of power supply the system uses and if it uses an internal power
supply if it has the standard connections an off the shelf power supply would have before buying
one.

Later, Seeker