Re: New user having trouble with new install

On 7/13/15, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon 13 Jul 2015 at 18:54:31 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>> On Monday 13 July 2015 18:39:42 Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>> > Ms. Reisz
>> > Please read before replying in future. Mr. Levine had pointed out
>> > one of his goals was minimum data charges during install. I
>> > pointed out that I had found availability of complete DVD sets to
>> > be valuable. Not everyone in world has your environment, needs,
>> > desires, etc!
>>
>> No, he hadn't.  He gave it as reason for downloading a small CD.  He
>> didn't
>> say anything about minimal data charges *during install*.  He said that he
>>
>> was reluctant to download full CDs.  He said that he only needed a
>> minimal
>
> He didn't? (It's "minimum" for "data charges", BTW :))
>
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/07/msg00510.html
>
> "expensive traffic cap" seems a clue.

Just so this thread doesn't run indefinitely for want of my clarification, the
satellite service we subscribe to allows us 50G traffic (that's up *plus* down)
per month, after which they start charging $2-$5 per gig.  I dunno about all
y'all but it's a challenge to stay under that 50 - the previous wireless ISP I
used didn't have a cap, but their performance was low, and I averaged 150G
per month.  If I lived in the city and didn't have to deal with this nonsense,
I can only dream of the hundreds of gigs I'd be moving.

So, on average, I try to keep myself down to about a gig a day, and it should
be obvious why I took the approach I did.  Downloading *one* DVD would
have blown my budget for most of the week.

>> install, which he can get easily with the net install.  And the DVDs are
>> not
>> going to solve the micro-code problem.  They are going to cost him a lot
>> of
>> money and not solve his problem.
>
> What micro-code problem? The OP has installed Debian. He is deliriously
> happy. He has no problems.

Correct.  I don't know the nature of the warning (beyond it underscoring that
my CPU is neither Intel or AMD), and have no idea what possible ramifications
it has.  At this point, the OS appears to be running without complaint.

>> They do solve your problem.  But your problem and needs are unusual.
>
> Wanting to conserve bandwidth is not unusual. Neither of *us* may not
> have the need to. Others do.

Enjoy yourself.  I wouldn't wish this constraint on anyone...

Jonathan