Re: New user having trouble with new install

On Monday 13 July 2015 18:39:42 Richard Owlett wrote:
> Lisi Reisz wrote:

> >> Complete set all of 13 Jessie DVD's are available from my
> >> preferred vendor for ~$35(US), Install over dial-up being
> >> completely impractical. I've moved to a 3G/LTE ISP, choosing a
> >> 1GB/mo plan, so I will continue to purchase DVD sets.
> >
> > I disagree with Richard on this, Jonathon.  You took much the best
> > approach. There must be a solution which does not involve 13 DVDs!  I
> > have been using Debian for over 11 years and in all that time I have
> > never had to solve a problem by deviating from the net-install, and only
> > very rarely by reinstalling.
> >
> > Don't go playing around with 14 DVDs.  Richard has special and
> > idiosyncratic needs and requirements.
> >
> > I'll look back at your problem and see if I can suggest a different
> > approach. I had been leaving it to the experts (which I am not on
> > Jessie).
> >
> > Lisi
>
> Ms. Reisz
> Please read before replying in future. Mr. Levine had pointed out
> one of his goals was minimum data charges during install. I
> pointed out that I had found availability of complete DVD sets to
> be valuable. Not everyone in world has your environment, needs,
> desires, etc!

No, he hadn't.  He gave it as reason for downloading a small CD.  He didn't
say anything about minimal data charges *during install*.  He said that he
was reluctant to download full CDs.  He said that he only needed a minimal
install, which he can get easily with the net install.  And the DVDs are not
going to solve the micro-code problem.  They are going to cost him a lot of
money and not solve his problem.

They do solve your problem.  But your problem and needs are unusual.

Lisi