Re: Free GNU/Linux intro class for teens advice? Purchase box? Squeak/Smalltalk programming

Ralph Katz wrote:

On 07/08/2015 10:18 AM, Bob Bernstein wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jul 2015, Miles Fidelman wrote:

I am still not convinced that $350 will be a major obstacle.
$350 sound quite a lot to me and buying a whole new computer for the
sake of this seems quite wasteful as well.
Probably not in Newton, MA.  Probably unnecessary, but there will be
plenty of takers.
The Newton resident (Miles) knows whereof he speaks.

Bob Bernstein NSHS '62

I'm also a Newton resident but disagree on requiring a new computer
purchase as prerequisite.  Keep it free, accessible, and fun.  Will you
spend too much time on installation/configuration?

Lisi Reisz's comments above (Message-ID:
<[🔎] 201507072145.10748.lisi.reisz@gmail.com>) are spot on.  Focus on your
purpose, your audience, your objectives.  Kids have computers.  If you
have them bring a wifi enabled laptop with PuTTY installed, your first
class can have them ssh to a live system and off you go.

Not disagreeing about whether it's necessary as a prerequisite - just a comment on ability to pay :-)

Then again - depending on the audience and the treatment - there's a lot to be said for starting by installing linux on bare iron. Pretty much any teenager in a suburban school system has used Windows or a Mac (and probably owns one) - but it's been a few years since new computers came without a pre-installed O/S. The process of installing from scratch is probably a useful learning experience - and I expect that the library might have some heartburn with installing on their general-use machines (though maybe less heartburn with installing inside a carefully controlled VM environment - and perhaps installing virtualbox would be a learning experience of its own).

Miles Fidelman