Re: Free GNU/Linux intro class for teens advice? Purchase box? Squeak/Smalltalk programming

On Tuesday 07 July 2015 10:05:03 shawn wilson wrote:
> I would also teach the system separate from programming. They're both big
> topics and you'll end up overwhelming everyone (yourself included).

Strongly seconded.  I last taught computing to a class of young teens on ZX81s
in early 1983, but I have taught Linux to teenagers outside class more
recently.

You need to know what you want to achieve, since it will strongly affect the
answer.  You need to know at whom it is aimed.  Is this aimed at young geeks
to increase their geekdom, or at youngsters in general to ween then off the
idea that if it doesn't run Windows, it isn't a computer?  Is it aimed at
teenagers, gender random, or boys?

Then you need to know your audience.  Bore them and you will have lost them.
It has to be fun.

But you do need a clear idea yourself of the answers to those and similar
questions.  A muddle is boring.

Lisi