Re: Free GNU/Linux intro class for teens advice? Purchase box? Squeak/Smalltalk programming

Thanks for all of the  useful feedback.  Some of the constraints which
were not clear  from my original post are  that the venue specifically
requested that  programming be  included.  I don't  see that as  a bad
thing as long as the programming is a couple of lightweight exercises.
I am  also glad to  see that there  is some healthy discussion  of the
language choice which  might indicate that there is  not necessarily a
best answer.

The library venue does not  have UNIX machines available at this time.
Plus,  I  would like  the  participants to  have  easy  access to  the
environment  outside  of  the  Library's  operating  hours.   Maybe  a
solution  is  to  give  participants  options.  The  Live  CDs  sounds
interesting, but then all configuration  is lost, I think, when the CD
is rebooted?   VMs are also a  good alternative, but in  the past, the
environment was sluggish and peripherals were sometimes a challenge.

I am still  not convinced that $350 will be a  major obstacle.  I have
spent that just on texts years  ago, but realistically cost is a major
concern.  Perhaps  the best  feedback I might  get are  from potential
participants.  Maybe  I can  get some relevant  surveys going  to help
answer some of these questions  for our specific venue.  Your feedback
is really helping  to target the potential survey  questions, I think,
although that was not my original intent.

Thank you so much for all  the great feedback.  It is really helpful I
think.

Regards,

marc

--