Re: Free GNU/Linux intro class for teens advice? Purchase box? Squeak/Smalltalk programming

    DP> On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 20:12:10 -0400, Marc D Ronell wrote:
    >> I am working toward teaching a free introductory class to teens
    >> on GNU/Linux and the philosophy of free software at the Newton
    >> Free Library in MA this coming September.
    >>
    >> For the class, the participants will need access to GNU/Linux.
    >> After reviewing some options, including sdf.org, virtual
    >> machines, Chromebooks, etc., I am considering just asking
    >> participants to purchase a dedicated laptop and installing the
    >> OS.  I may be able to direct students to install fests in the
    >> area before the class starts.  I am not sure that this is the
    >> best idea, but it offers significant advantages including a
    >> potentially working box as part of the results of the course.

    DP> TBH, you might be better working on helping them get a
    DP> dual-booting box.  Not everyone has ~$400 laying around to
    DP> drop on some new kit just for a class that may or may not
    DP> become something that hooks them long-term.

Dan, thanks for the suggestion.  This long term commitment aspect is a
concern.   Asking people  to make  this decision  might  get committed
participants.  Dual boot is a possibility, that configuration could be
their choice.  Setting it up  might risk their current systems if they
don't create  adequate backups and  have the ability to  restore.  But
say  the person were  taking a  class on  photography.  Then  a decent
camera might be reasonable pre-requisite?

    >> As a test, I purchased a laptop (Toshiba Satellite C75-B7180)
    >> on sale for $350 at our local Microcenter in Cambridge and was
    >> able to load GNU/Linux for my son.  I am thinking of working
    >> some programming assignments in Squeak (Smalltalk), but maybe C
    >> is a better choice for an OS class?
    >>

    DP> shell scripting?  You can do a lot of "quick and dirty" there,
    DP> and it doesn't (IMO) require nearly the same amount of
    DP> knowledge that one of the compiled languages needs.

Yes,  I  am  thinking  of  having some  exercises  and  a  programming
assignment   or  two.    Scripting,   a  la   the  _UNIX   Programming
Environment_, is an option which yields fast results.

    >> Has anyone tried running a GNU/Linux intro class for teens?
    >> Can anyone share their experiences, thoughts or suggestions?
    >> Feedback based on actual experience would be most helpful, I
    >> think, but I would appreciate any insights.
    >>

    DP> Forced it on the administration of a local charter / special
    DP> needs school (generally the kids are fine, moderate learning
    DP> difficulties at the worst), though it's more a "holy fuck! WTF
    DP> are you running WinXP 18 months after EOL for!?!?!" response,
    DP> as they didn't have the money for Win7 licenses with
    DP> everything else that they wanted/needed to upgrade hardware
    DP> wise ("maybe next year...").

    DP> Granted the majority of it is "internet-based education
    DP> resources" and word processing, but one or two of them have
    DP> also expressed an interest at doing some things programming
    DP> wise.

    DP> Biggest thing with pre-college kids is mainly keep it simple /
    DP> let them see a result pretty quick.  Yeah, a second-semester
    DP> freshman on up might be OK with working on a project for 3-5
    DP> classes, and "seeing nothing" until that last class; but for
    DP> the most part anyone younger than that can only stand 1-2
    DP> class periods before they hate it.

I see your point.  Thank you.

marc