Re: Free GNU/Linux intro class for teens advice? Purchase box? Squeak/Smalltalk programming

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 20:12:10 -0400, Marc D Ronell wrote:

> I am  working toward  teaching a free  introductory class to  teens on
> GNU/Linux  and the  philosophy of  free  software at  the Newton  Free
> Library in MA this coming September.
>
> For the class, the participants  will need access to GNU/Linux.  After
> reviewing   some  options,   including   sdf.org,  virtual   machines,
> Chromebooks,  etc.,  I  am  considering just  asking  participants  to
> purchase a dedicated  laptop and installing the OS.  I  may be able to
> direct students to install fests  in the area before the class starts.
> I am  not sure that this is  the best idea, but  it offers significant
> advantages including a potentially working  box as part of the results
> of the course.

TBH, you might be better working on helping them get a dual-booting box.
Not everyone has ~$400 laying around to drop on some new kit just for a
class that may or may not become something that hooks them long-term.

> As a test, I purchased  a laptop (Toshiba Satellite C75-B7180) on sale
> for $350  at our local Microcenter  in Cambridge and was  able to load
> GNU/Linux  for my  son.  I  am  thinking of  working some  programming
> assignments in Squeak (Smalltalk), but  maybe C is a better choice for
> an OS class?

shell scripting?  You can do a lot of "quick and dirty" there, and it
doesn't (IMO) require nearly the same amount of knowledge that one of the
compiled languages needs.

> Has  anyone tried  running a  GNU/Linux  intro class  for teens?   Can
> anyone  share their  experiences, thoughts  or  suggestions?  Feedback
> based on actual experience would be most helpful, I think, but I would
> appreciate any insights.

Forced it on the administration of a local charter / special needs school
(generally the kids are fine, moderate learning difficulties at the
worst), though it's more a "holy fuck! WTF are you running WinXP 18
months after EOL for!?!?!" response, as they didn't have the money for
Win7 licenses with everything else that they wanted/needed to upgrade
hardware wise ("maybe next year...").

Granted the majority of it is "internet-based education resources" and
word processing, but one or two of them have also expressed an interest
at doing some things programming wise.

Biggest thing with pre-college kids is mainly keep it simple / let them
see a result pretty quick.  Yeah, a second-semester freshman on up might
be OK with working on a project for 3-5 classes, and "seeing nothing"
until that last class; but for the most part anyone younger than that can
only stand 1-2 class periods before they hate it.