Re: ffmpeg vs. libav

On 07/06/2015 at 05:35 PM, Jochen Spieker wrote:

> Paul Zimmerman:
>
>> Something is not right with the libav package that is now the
>> default instead of ffmpeg.
>
> Yes, that's why Debian is going to switch back to ffmpeg:
>
> http://balintreczey.hu/blog/debian-is-preparing-the-transition-to-ffmpeg/

As I understand matters, that particular blog post was premature - but
as of a few days ago the decision to switch back to FFmpeg appears to
have been finalized on the pkg-multimedia-maintainers mailing list, and
they're currently putting together the text of an official announcement
(at least for Debian developers) about that change.

See:
https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2015-June/045436.html
for the point at which the decision seems to have been assessed, with
discussion pretty much over; see also the preceding discussion (which
also extends into the previous month), and the so-far-brief discussion
which continues into July.

> For jessie you probably have to resort to deb-multimedia.org.

Or compile from scratch, which is what I do. Getting full support for
all optional libraries and features can be a bit tricky (especially for
libraries that can also be built against FFmpeg, such as libx264), at
least if you build from the latest git repository - but it's by no means
an insurmountable challenge, and I think the result has been worth it.

--
   The Wanderer