Re: Free GNU/Linux intro class for teens advice? Purchase box? Squeak/Smalltalk programming

On Jul 6, 2015, at 6:12 PM, Marc D Ronell <mronell@alumni.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Has  anyone tried  running a  GNU/Linux  intro class  for teens?   Can
> anyone  share their  experiences, thoughts  or  suggestions?  Feedback
> based on actual experience would be most helpful, I think, but I would
> appreciate any insights.

Have a look at a problem set from Harvard's CS50 course:

https://cdn.cs50.net/2015/x/psets/0/pset0/pset0.html

This is Harvard's take on an intro to CS, and much of it would be over the heads of a group of teenagers. Most of it, so far, has been fairly hard core C, but they start out using Scratch:

https://scratch.mit.edu/

Scratch looks to be more aimed at kids, but you might be able to get some ideas from the CS50 site.

I'm getting ready to set up a Raspberry Pi box for my nephew's son (a kid), and I plan to start him off with Scratch on Debian, and leave a Python IDE lying around on the machine, in case he gets adventuresome...

--
Glenn English