Re: Dedicated server doesn't boot, can't seem to figure out why

Op Mon, 06 Jul 2015 13:50:09 +0100, schreef Darac Marjal:

Hi Darac,

thank you for your response.

> This sounds like a failure in your boot loader. I notice that you say
> you use debootstrap to install the base system, rather than using the
> installer.

Indeed. It's a dedicated server from OVH that I don't have physical
access to. I don't have the possibility to use the Debian installer.
It would have made it easier, that's for sure.

> Have you remembered to install a boot loader? debootstrap
> normally expects to be installing into a chroot or similar, so won't do
> all the necessary tasks that are needed for a bare-metal install. If
> you've installed grub (I suspect you want grub-efi-amd64, if you're
> using a 64-bit PC), check that the necessary files were loaded into
> /boot/efi (your partition #1 above). You may also get a "Debian" entry
> in your firmware boot selection menu.

I have installed grub, but not grub-efi-amd64. I use a GPT table (not
MBR), but I don't have an efi parition, only a small EF02 Bios boot
partition as I read you need one for some Grub files when using GPT
layout. I'm not sure this requires me to install the grub-efi-amd64
version? In my off line test in Virtualbox, I was able to install a 64
bit Debian Wheezy with the standard grub with the same disk layout and it
booted without problems.

> If, however, grub IS installed, how far through its boot does it get? Do
> you get a "rescue>" prompt? Do you get the menu up? etc.

I don't have physical access and I don't have a way to view/watch the
boot process. On one occasion the web interfaces' hardware reboot feature
failed, requiring a technician to reboot the server.
He said he saw a rescue prompt. But that's all the info I have gotten so
far.

> If you get a "rescue>" prompt, try the following (cadged from the Gentoo
> Wiki):
>   insmod gzio insmod part_msdos		# Probably don't need
this, actually
>   insmod part_gpt insmod diskfilter insmod mdraid1x insmod ext2 set
>   root="mduuid/<tab>"
>   linux  /boot/vmlinuz blahblah inirtd /boot/initramfs blahblah
>
> Tab completion should be available, and SHOULD find the UUID of your
> raid (or produce an error, if not, hopefully)
> If you get as far as the menu, do you get any errors when you try to
> select Debian?

See above, I can't perform these actions. I asked them if there is such a
console, haven't gotten any answer back.

Thanks