Re: RAID b/w GPT and NON GPT partition.

On 30/06/15 03:05 PM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

    Ramadan Kareem Yousuf.

    What I would do is shrink partition 5 by 100M then create a new
    ef02 partition in the freed space. This should be completely safe
    since it is just a swap partition and contains no permanent data.

    Do this on both drives after stopping swap (swapoff) then /dev/md1.

    There is no need for RAID on the ef02 partition.

Thanks for the wishing the Ramadan Kareem :)

Thanks for your tip. however what i am looking is more easy way. as Pascal is saying i already have free space in my new drive and there is no need for shrinking a partition. which is i think dangerous at this point because only 1 drive is left. if i loose the data i have to go back to my archive and restore all the data from my old backup drive which going to be a headache.

so what i am trying to find out if creating a new partition is sufficient that i will choose that route.

Thanks,
Yousuf

You only need to create the ef02 partition on your new drive until the RAID arrays have re-synced. However you will need to identify your swap partition as swap (and run mkswap & swapon against it) until you are ready to touch your original drive. So long as the new drive has grub installed on it, you should be able to boot.

If you added a third drive (even temporarily), you can actually have a 3-drive RAID1 array so you can always have two drives with your data. I used to do this for /boot before being able to boot from a (3 disk) RAID5 array.