RE: RAID b/w GPT and NON GPT partition.

Hi again,

> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 18:58:36 +0500
> From: sirtcp@gmail.com
>
> but there are few confusions. actually in my old drive. there was a
> extended partition for SWAP. however when i copy the partition table
> with gdisk "x" and "u" option it created the file successfully however.
> i can not see extended in the output.

Don't worry about it. There's no such thing as extended, primary or
logical partitions anymore in GPT, there's just "partitions".

> my last question is making the new 2TB drive able to boot.
> when i run the command grup-install it gives me error.
> # grub-install /dev/sdb
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot
> Partition; embedding won't be possible!.
> /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is
> required when the root device is on a RAID array or LVM volume.
> if i change the type to "ef02" (Bios Boot Partition) i may not be able
> to attach that partition to my current raid level. this is what i think
> i haven't don't hit and trial technique as i am working on production
> server.
>
> can you guys please share how can i make the new drive bootable?

As Pascal has said, the easiest is to create a new partition in the
free space before partition 1 (sectors 34-2047). Make sure it has the
correct type for a Bios Boot Partition (gdisk type ef02, with parted
you need to set the Bootable flag). Then reboot, as the kernel won't
load the new partition table immediately. After reboot, the
grub-install command above should work.

Regards,
Arno