Re: looking for a sound waveform viewer, but not audacity for reasons explained

Quoting Lisi Reisz (lisi.reisz@gmail.com):
> On Tuesday 30 June 2015 21:42:16 David Wright wrote:
> > Quoting Lisi Reisz (lisi.reisz@gmail.com):

> > > And there are the answer to the question how?  He explicitly wanted a
> > > SOUND waveform viewer, with playing the sound a bonus.  I know Maths and
> > > sound are linked, but this seems going a bit far.
> >
> > Well, it's in the list at
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Waveform_Viewers-Plotting_Large_Analog_Data which
> > might be worth perusing (third hit when googling   interactive waveform
> > plotting   )
>
> From there:
> -----------------------------
> A situation often occurs, where the user ends up with some sort of a large
> dataset that needs to be visualised and analysed. Examples of this include:
> [snip]
> data from statistical or mathematical analysis (using, say, R or scilab);
> --------------------------------------
> That is  not sound.
>
> Lisi
> PS though the page does indeed also include sound wave plotters.

Scilab appears in section 2 as a generator of large datasets. Many
authors of such a page wouldn't have bothered with section 2 at all,
but happily this author generated a batch of data to test the software
listed in section 3 (making it easier to try out other ideas we might
have).

Were one to play the waveform generated, it might not be very
pleasant. It looks to me vaguely like someone trying to tune a
superhet radio while simultaneously turning up the volume to annoy
the neighbours.

The meat of the page is section 3 which contains, amongst the
competition, scilab.

Scilab was a legitimate suggestion given that the OP wasn't very
specific about the problem area. For example, what is an "interesting
point"? However, a deal breaker might be the reviewer's inability to
perform synchronous zooms on multichannel data in scilab.

Cheers,
David.