Re: RAID b/w GPT and NON GPT partition.

On 30/06/15 02:36 PM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
Sorry Arno my last message was mistakenly sent to you only and not the list.

Thanks all for you comments.

Pascal thanks for the tip about extending one of the partition and using the free space i will do so but for now my primary problem is to create a boot partition so that i can boot and replace the old 1.5 TB with 2TB drive. as you said boot partition in GPT can be created anywhere not necessarily at start.

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size Code  Name
   1            2048         7813119   3.7 GiB FD00  Linux RAID
   3        27344896      1980469247   931.3 GiB FD00  Linux RAID
   4      1980469248      2930276351   452.9 GiB FD00  Linux RAID
   5         7815168        27344895   9.3 GiB FD00  Linux RAID

As you can see partition 2 is missing. when i am creating the new partition it is starting from the "2930276352" (+1 ending sector of partition 4)

should i create partition 2 of a size of 1 GB. and make it as a boot partition and install grup on that partition. do you think performing these steps will do the job. or i have to more in order to boot my New 2TB GPT drive.

Thanks,
Yousuf
I've stopped using separate boot partitions since wheezy, which allowed systems to boot directly from a RAID array. I've found boot partitions provide no real benefit on any computer less than a decade old.

If you are referring to the ef02 partition, you don't install grub on it. In fact, installing grub on the mbr is preferred.

Partition numbers have no intrinsic meaning. They just identify the partition and, as you have seen, have nothing to do with the layout of the disk (in your case 1,5,3,4). You can call your new ef02 partition "2" or any other unused single-digit number (yes, you could call it 20 or 111, but why bother?).