Re: network-manager in Jessie upgrade issues

On 06/27/2015 04:42 PM, Sam Smith wrote:
I upgraded from Wheezy to Jessie today on my laptop. I cannot get wifi
to work now. I have been using network-manager with KDE for years now. I
tried removing everything network-manager related through apt and
starting over but that didn't work. I have network-manager and
plasma-widget-networkmanagement installed and can configure interfaces
through the GUI. Wired works, but wireless never fully connects no
matter if security (WPA2) is being used or not. See attached log.

I tried using Wicd and it worked fine to connect to wifi so I don't
think my hardware is at fault.

I am currently trying to figure out how to get more verbose logging from
either network-manager or the wpa supplicant, all docs I can find seem
irrelevant so at least looking for tips on that.

Thanks,
Sam

An update.

added super debug mode '-dd' to wpa_supplicant startup in file /lib/systemd/system/wpa_supplicant.service

Noticed the driver being used was 'nl80211'.
Copied /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/wpa2-eap-ccmp.conf and made an example conf file to run a standalone wpa supplicant instance with:
wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -dd  -c wpa-psk-tkip.conf

Noticed that it just stayed in a loop of auth->disconnect->re-auth (like it had been)
Forced the driver to 'wext', and it then worked fine....

Looks like this was a default that was changed during the Wheezy life time:
http://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/plain/wpa_supplicant/ChangeLog
2014-02-04 - v2.1
* changed the default driver interface from wext to nl80211 if both are included in the build

At this point I am trying to figure out how to get network-manager to force and use the wext driver with wpa_supplicant. This page mentions a config flag 'wifi-wext-only' but it doesn't work: http://linux.die.net/man/5/networkmanager.conf And forcing the wpa_supplicant to start up with -Dwext to force the driver still allows network-manager to override and break again :(

This is on a Thinkpad T61, I have no idea how I am the only one bitten by this....??

--Sam