Re: network-manager in Jessie upgrade issues

On Sunday 28 June 2015 16:34:17 Joe wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 12:28:08 +0100
>
> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 June 2015 03:55:49 Sam Smith wrote:
> > > After many hours... I took your advice.
> > > And then realized that it doesn't have OpenVPN integration like
> > > network-manager... dang.
> > >
> > :-(  So that is why not use it. ;-)
> >
> > Pity.  In general wicd is much nicer than Network Manager.
> >
> > Lisi
>
> Now that it actually works, I've found Network Manager to be useful on
> my laptop and netbook. As Sam says, it does OpenVPN (reasonably well
> now...) as well as wi-fi and also mobile dongles, which reduces the
> clutter. I've used all three capabilities in the last week with my
> netbook, but it might be another six months before I do so again, and I
> can do without having to re-learn it all then. NM is fairly simple and
> intuitive. I have nothing against man pages, but as with my doctor, I
> like to see them as rarely as possible.

In its Network Mangler days, I got in the habit of uninstalling NM
immediately, and installing wicd if I needed wireless.  Otherwise I just used
e/n/i.  This was more than enough for my needs.  But NM has obviously grown
up, and your needs are less simple than mine.  But I still like wicd.  It is
very intuitive and straight-forward.

Lisi