Re: CUPS is just killing me

On Saturday 27 June 2015 21:17:45 briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> well, i tried to purge the avahi thingy and accidentally purged cups
>
> i reinstalled cups AND i had saved a copy of the /etc/cups directory such
> in the event of such an occassion.
>
> so i re-copied the entire directory.
>
> and the printer didn't work. furthermore cups is not acting the same.
>
> so in desperation I tried:
>
>   ipp://192.168.1.111/ipp
>
> and lo and behold i can print a test page.
>
> But, now none of the other computers on the network see the cups server.
>
> just absolutely killing me.

I would thoroughly purge the whole lot, reinstall CUPS using
apt/apt-get/aptitude whatever.  Install the driver.  All the bits.  (I seem
to remember that there are at least two)  And configure properly from scratch
using the http://localhost:631 interface, and nothing else.  Just this once,
forget the command line.  Let CUPS do its stuff *without* *interference*.
You might be pleasantly surprised.

Lisi