Re: Systemd takes more that 1m 30sec to start firewall at boot

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015, Johann Spies wrote:

> Thanks Don.
>

> User 132 was Gnome Display Manager.
>
> So I removed gdm3 and made lightdm (user 115) my default display manager.
> That did not make any difference:
>
> └─networking.service @4.138s +3.231s
>                           └─local-fs.target @4.137s
>                             └─run-user-115.mount @1min 44.291s
>                               └─local-fs-pre.target @2.019s
>                                 └─systemd-remount-fs.service @1.964s +54ms
>                                   └─keyboard-setup.service @1.338s +626ms
>                                     └─systemd-udevd.service @1.328s +8ms
>                                       └─systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
> @1.047s +280ms
>                                         └─kmod-static-nodes.service @958ms
> +88ms
>                                           └─system.slice @958ms
>                                             └─-.slice @957ms
>
> $ systemctl status -l run-user-115.mount;
> ● run-user-115.mount - /run/user/115
>    Loaded: loaded (/proc/self/mountinfo)
>    Active: active (mounted) since Thu 2015-06-25 13:22:54 SAST; 3min 46s ago
>     Where: /run/user/115
>      What: tmpfs
>

> Why does it take 44 seconds to make a and mount a directory in /tmp?
>
> $ mount
>
> tmpfs on /run/user/115 type tmpfs
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=806516k,mode=700,uid=115,gid=123)

I've got a bunch of ideas, but it's hard to say. The code for this is
really simple:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/b0fc0763d38a0ad227c0f1d31662449696b13cf0/src/login/logind-user.c

You can try turning on debugging (add systemd.log_level=debug to the
kernel line) and then checking /var/log/daemon.log or whatever systemd
is logging to on your system (or journalctl). That will at least tell
you at approximately what times during the process things are slowing
down.

But just off the top of my head, I'd check nsswitch, name resolution, or
something else slowing down the process of identifying the proper user
until it times out. [You're probably in the best position to know if you
have anything like that installed.]

I don't care how poor and inefficient a little country is; they like
to run their own business.  I know men that would make my wife a
better husband than I am; but, darn it, I'm not going to give her to
'em.
 -- The Best of Will Rogers