Re: Boots into emergency mode. How to analyze?

On 2015-06-25 13:54 +0200, Matthijs Wensveen wrote:

> I'm running unstable / sid. Yesterday, I suddenly started booting into
> emergency mode and I'm unsure why. I had a hang the day before, right after
> a apt-get dist-upgrade, so it might be either one of those, or something
> else altogether.
>
> Booting into emergency mode doesn't help me, as I can neither login without
> a root password,

It seems this functionality got lost when sulogin(8) was moved from
sysvinit-utils to util-linux.  I have just opened a bug report:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=789950.

> nor continue to default mode with Ctrl-D because that just
> throws me back into emergency mode.
>
> I'm rather stuck on how to analyze the situation. I can mount and even
> chroot into the '/' partition from a live CD (LMDE 2) and even run apt-get
> update && apt-get upgrade, but the boot problem persists. I can also boot
> with init=/bin/sh, but I don't know what to look for.
>
> Any ideas on what I should try? Any help is much appreciated.

After booting with init=/bin/sh, set a root password and boot normally
(e.g. run "exec /lib/systemd/systemd"), then you should be able to log
in in emergency mode and debug the situation ("systemctl --failed" would
be first thing I'd try).

After the situation is remedied, you make lock the root account again
with "sudo passwd -l root".

Good luck,
Sven