Re: Change systemd to not be default in Stretch

On 06/24/2015 08:01 AM, Zebediah C. McClure wrote:
On Tuesday 23 June 2015 18:33:22 Patrick Bartek wrote:

apt-get install sysvinit-core sysvinit sysvinit-utils
apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove systemd

Fixed my problems, and gave me a 100% working system.

Did you check for any remnants of systemd (libraries, config files,
etc.) still hanging around?

Months ago while Jessie was still Testing, I installed a NetInstall
Base System only in VirtualBox -- No X, no desktop, no window manager,
no network manager, etc -- to test converting it to sysvinit (and later
to runitinit). After the conversion (exactly as you did), there was
still systemd stuff installed. Dependencies, it seems, for parts of the
operating system itself.  The conversion instructions I followed said
this is normal and not to worry about it.

Is it the same with your system?

Yes, but I still have the following packages installed because I haeven't
cleaned them out.  You might have them around also.

i   libsystemd-daemon0              - systemd utility library (deprecated)
i   libsystemd-login0               - systemd login utility library
(deprecated)
i   libsystemd0                     - systemd utility library
i   systemd-shim                    - shim for systemd

zmc

Before "cleaning them out", you might want to do a little bit of research.

Hint: My Jessie and Stretch systems running systemd as the init system do NOT have systemd-shim installed. My Jessie and Stretch systems using sysv as the init system DO have it installed.

I have wondered if the naming scheme for some of the packages may be part of the foundation of paranoia about systemd as a whole, since one who works hard to rid her/his system of systemd might expect not to see the word sitting amongst the system's package names. But a name is just a name.

The systemd-shim package, for instance, is what makes it possible to use sysv system as the init system while still making use of a number of important system functions which have -- for better or worse -- been rolled into packages developed and/or maintained by the systemd project.

There may be ways to use a Debian Jessie or Stretch operating system without any packages containing the letters "systemd" in them, but it's not going to be done as easily as merely removing them from the system with the package manager of your choice.

I'm all for maintaining some choice in system configurations, which is why I test servers and desktops with different init systems. I'm also playing with BSD and the GUIX OS, the latter definitely not being ready for prime time.

Good luck in your endeavors!

JP