Re: experimental.

On 06/24/2015 08:51 AM, Weaver wrote:
Greetings all.

I have a spare unstable system that I was thinking of jumping up to
experimental to play with.
Is experimental strictly non-gui, or is there a recommended light
desktop that can sit on top?
Thanks for any advice to this slow and ancient learner.
Cheers!

Weaver.

From a doubtless slower and possibly more ancient learner --

I haven't used experimental much, but when I did, I found desktop environments to be broken a large part of the time -- broken enough to require version roll-backs of lots of different packages just to get a working environment. In one case I think I had to resort to a full re-installation because the dependency snarl was going to be more trouble than it was worth to sort.

Why not try a simple window manager? Much less integration among various components to get messed up during transitions of system stuff. There are a lot of nifty WMs in the repos. I've been meaning to test a slew of them to see if I can learn something. Besides their package descriptions and screenshots at their Web sites, some of the window managers have demos posted on youtube.com. There's something for everyone in the selection.

Good luck!

JP