Re: Change systemd to not be default in Stretch

On 6/24/2015 6:19 AM, Jape Person wrote:
On 06/24/2015 08:01 AM, Zebediah C. McClure wrote:
On Tuesday 23 June 2015 18:33:22 Patrick Bartek wrote:

Yes, but I still have the following packages installed because I haeven't
cleaned them out.  You might have them around also.

i libsystemd-daemon0 - systemd utility library (deprecated)
i   libsystemd-login0               - systemd login utility library
(deprecated)
i   libsystemd0                     - systemd utility library
i   systemd-shim                    - shim for systemd

zmc

Before "cleaning them out", you might want to do a little bit of research.

Hint: My Jessie and Stretch systems running systemd as the init system do NOT have systemd-shim installed. My Jessie and Stretch systems using sysv as the init system DO have it installed.

I have wondered if the naming scheme for some of the packages may be part of the foundation of paranoia about systemd as a whole, since one who works hard to rid her/his system of systemd might expect not to see the word sitting amongst the system's package names. But a name is just a name.

The systemd-shim package, for instance, is what makes it possible to use sysv system as the init system while still making use of a number of important system functions which have -- for better or worse -- been rolled into packages developed and/or maintained by the systemd project.

Paranoia is the foundation of paranoia, fueled by those who would prevent others from having a choice of using systemd.

Some number of things require a functional systemd, if you have a different init system handling boot then you need
the shim for those things.

Some other things have support for systemd compiled in for those who are using systemd, but don't require systemd to function. At the least those would commonly require libsystemd0. Even if the systemd stuff won't be used they would complain if the libraries provided by libsystemd0 were not there. That's the part where the paranoia fueled
by those who would prevent the choice to others comes into play.

I believe all the packages that are listed as deprecated were providing libraries that have been rolled in to libsystemd0, so there is a good chance they could all be removed, but there may still be some packages that list the deprecated packages as dependencies, so that may vary depending on what you install.

Later, Seeker