Re: Still unable to get external monitor wotking on Debian 6 - was Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 12:15:59 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> I note also, that I used synaptic to remove all the nvidia stuff, from
> the Debian 7 installation, and I removed the bumblebee stuff from that
> installation, and reinstalled bumblebee on that installation, and the
> Debian 7 installation also still does not detect the external monitor.

How do you determine that it doesn't detect the monitor? You can read
through /var/log/Xorg.0.log, but it's easier to just run "xrandr" (when
both screens are connected) and see what it detects. If "xrandr" is able
to detect both outputs it should just be a matter of configuration, if
not then that would suggest a problem with the driver.

At least Wheezy is a lot more up to date than Squeeze, with newer
kernel and X. I'd say your odds of getting the second screen going
there would be a lot better than with Squeeze.

Since it's working on your Ubuntu installation, can you determine which
version of the driver that has installed? The packages are usually
called "nvidia-xxx", then do "apt-cache policy nvidia-xxx" on the one
that is installed to see the exact version. Do the same for Wheezy.

Copies of Xorg.0.log (on both Wheezy and Ubuntu) would also be helpful,
just to see what your system detects, and how they differ.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"