Re: Still unable to get external monitor wotking on Debian 6 - was Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 13:54:51 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16/06/2015, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 06/15/2015 12:39 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
> >
> >> Get:1 http://http.debian.net/debian/ squeeze/non-free
> >> nvidia-kernel-dkms amd64 195.36.31-6squeeze2 [7,138 kB]
> >> Fetched 7,138 kB in 12s (575 kB/s)
> >> Selecting previously deselected package nvidia-kernel-dkms.
> >> (Reading database ... 152853 files and directories currently
> >> installed.) Unpacking nvidia-kernel-dkms (from
> >> .../nvidia-kernel-dkms_195.36.31-6squeeze2_amd64.deb) ...
> >> Setting up nvidia-kernel-dkms (195.36.31-6squeeze2) ...
> >> First Installation: checking all kernels...
> >> Building only for 2.6.32-5-amd64
> >> Building initial module for 2.6.32-5-amd64
> >
> > As I said, you are installing bits of nvidia 195 driver series. It's
> > right there in your frigging log. <swears bluely>
> >
> > That's for REAL OLD nvidia cards. You have a mess. Jerk it all out.
> > Fire up synaptic, search on nvidia, check on what you currently have
> > installed and remove it all, with great prejudice, fear and
> > loathing.
>
> Okay.
>
> Done that - "Mark(ed) for complete removal".
>
> > Your machine is somehow "sullied" and the only cure with be to drag
> > it all out of the pot like a screaming ?Mandrake Root at Hogwarts.
> > Then, follow the advice I laboriously pointed to and figure out how
> > the bumblebee scheme rocks your world.
> >
> > My GUESS is that it will install whatever it depends on. It is in
> > the repo, if you have non-free kicked on. Just be sure to have
> > everything else related to nvidia ripped out, as you have this
> > hybrid from hell, that should work a treat if the technology will
> > play nice. So, I would "think" that just apt-get install bumblebee
> > will work.
>
> "
> :~# apt-get install bumblebee
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package bumblebee
> "
>
> "
> :~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> #
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.7 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 CD
> Binary-1 20130223-14:06]/ squeeze main
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.7 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 CD
> Binary-1 20130223-14:06]/ squeeze main
>
> # deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
> # deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
>
> # deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> # deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
>
> deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://http.debian.net/debian squeeze-lts main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian squeeze-lts main contrib
> non-free
>

> # deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian squeeze-backports main
> contrib non-free "

> [...]

Please don't do that. You will probably open up a huge can of worms
that way. The Ubuntu packages will probably not work, or at least not
work well, on Squeeze.

The binary drivers depend on certain versions of X and the kernel, and
I strongly doubt that these will be the same between Squeeze and Ubuntu
12.04. These drivers are an excellent way to hose things if not done
correctly, so using a version that isn't intended for your OS is not
the right approach.

I wish I didn't have to say this, but: it might simply be that Squeeze
is too old to support this card if it is fairly recent. There might not
exist drivers for your GPU that will work with the versions of X and
the kernel available in Squeeze.

As to your problem with bumblebee, I think Optimus support is something
that is fairly recent, and might well have come after Squeeze. Maybe
you will find it in backports?

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"