Unable to access USB NTFS drive with jessie

I have just cloned an old installation of wheezy onto a Gigabyte Brix GB-BXBT-1900 PC and have upgraded it to Jessie (32-bit).

I'm unable to access two different USB hard drives - in both cases I get:

debian:/home/me# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk/
debian:/home/me# ls /mnt/disk
ls: cannot access /mnt/disk: Input/output error

The drive is a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 214 and the other one, which gives the same behaviour, is a WD Elements 1042. Capacity is 1.5G for each.

Here is the relevant output of the "mount" command:

fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/disk type fuseblk (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)

ntfs-3g version is ntfs-3g i386 1:2014.2.15AR.2-1+deb8u2

[ FIXED ]
After a bit of googling around I found that the wheezy version of ntfs-3g works. This is obviously not a very satisfactory solution.

Do the devs intend to fix this bug?