Re: SOLVED Re: adding network printer SOLVED

On Wed, 2015-06-10 at 12:16 +0200, notoneofmy wrote:
> And the hat's off to Sven Arvidsson for this really, truly, wonderful,
> no hassle find.
>
> Awesome. I just printed the test page in less than 5 minutes.
>
> When you consider I spent, between two days, about 8 hours; this is
> truly wonderful.
>
> I'm of two minds; whether I should have asked earlier, save some time.
> Or, not come quickly with all questions without first trying to solve
> stuff. I suppose the answer is a sensible balance.
>
> But thanks, Sven, thanks a whole lot.
>
> At this point, I think I'm almost done making this switch. And I thank
> you very much, Mr. Arvidsson.
>
> And as well to all those who pitched in.

Glad to hear you got it working!

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking early. Sometimes I
start writing a question to the list, and when I finished describing the
problem I have figured out the solution, or at least some other thing to
try.

Another illustration of this:

"Another effective [debugging] technique is to explain your code to
someone else. This will often cause you to explain the bug to yourself.
Sometimes it takes no more than a few sentences, followed by an
embarrassed "Never mind, I see what's wrong. Sorry to bother you." This
works remarkably well; you can even use non-programmers as listeners.
One university computer center kept a teddy bear near the help desk.
Students with mysterious bugs were required to explain them to the bear
before they could speak to a human counselor."

- B. Kernighan & D. Pike (in "The Practice of Programming" pp. 123)

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson