Disk failure, XFS shutting down, trying to recover as much as possible

Hello.

Yesterday I found out that my extra disk shut down. I don't know what steps to
follow from now on. I'm searching online about the error as I found in the
logs, and I don't know what steps to follow.

This is the log (I just trimmed which I think it was irrelevant):

http://paste.debian.net/220272/

In particular, I think this is the most significative:

end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 3297507911
XFS (sdc1): metadata I/O error: block 0x7477cb18 ("xlog_iodone") error 5
numblks 64
XFS (sdc1): xfs_do_force_shutdown(0x2) called from line 1172 of file
/build/linux-cLkxwy/linux-3.16.7-ckt9/fs/xfs/xfs_l
XFS (sdc1): Log I/O Error Detected.  Shutting down filesystem
XFS (sdc1): Please umount the filesystem and rectify the problem(s)
XFS (sdc1): metadata I/O error: block 0xc48bfa08 ("xfs_trans_read_buf_map")
error 5 numblks 16
XFS (sdc1): xfs_imap_to_bp: xfs_trans_read_buf() returned error 5.
XFS (sdc1): xfs_log_force: error 5 returned.

I've run smartctl, and the output doesn't look any promising:

walt:~# smartctl -T permissive -x /dev/sdc
Vendor:               /2:0:0:0
Product:
User Capacity:        600,332,565,813,390,450 bytes [600 PB]
Logical block size:   774843950 bytes
scsiModePageOffset: response length too short, resp_len=47 offset=50 bd_len=46
>> Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page
Log Sense failed, IE page [scsi response fails sanity test]

Error Counter logging not supported
scsiModePageOffset: response length too short, resp_len=47 offset=50 bd_len=46
Device does not support Self Test logging
Device does not support Background scan results logging
scsiPrintSasPhy Log Sense Failed [scsi response fails sanity test]

walt:~# smartctl -T permissive -x /dev/sdc1
Short INQUIRY response, skip product id
SMART Health Status: OK
Read defect list: asked for grown list but didn't get it

Error Counter logging not supported
Device does not support Self Test logging
Device does not support Background scan results logging
scsiPrintSasPhy Log Sense Failed [scsi response fails sanity test]

I don't know where to proceed from here. The error seems hardware, but I'm not
totally sure. After that, what should I try to do to recover as much as
possible? I'm reading about ddrescue now.

I don't have space in the other partitions to hold all the data in the failed
disk, but I'm only interested in recovering some parts of it as safely as
possible. Should I just buy a new disk, try to replicate the original one
there, and find out which files are damaged? Or should I create an image as a
file stored somewhere else?

Thank you.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2