Re: 32to64 decision

On 05/06/15 11:35 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jun 2015, Mailing Lists wrote:

i have an old small office server providing dhcp/dns/squid/custom
cyrus debs/postfix/samba services which at the time of lenny did not
have enough ram to choose the 64bit version.
now that i've managed to get more ram into it i'd like to migrate it
to 64bit. nothing really requires 64bit but rather i feel more peace
of mind knowing i'm getting rid of the last 32bit box.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Less problems.

which path should i choose:

wheezy32 > wheezy64 > jessie64
OR
wheezy32 > jessie32 > jessie64?

which one should be easier?
You're not going to like this . . .   If you really NEED Jessie, clean
install.  No matter what the systemd people say about sysv script
compatibility, I fear that upgrading from Wheezy to Jessie will have
problems.

But if you really NEED 64-bit: Wheezy32 -> Wheezy64; and leave it at
that.  Just because Jessie is the new Stable, doesn't mean Wheezy is an
old, useless workhorse that needs to be "put down."

I previously did a wheezy32 > wheezy64 for it's backup box and went
ok, even if there is no comprehensive updated howto documentation
available (or wasn't I able to find it, if it exists). i am wondering
if jessie 32to64 is anyway smoother than wheezy 32to64.
For now, until all the problems are ironed out, I'd avoid Jessie.
Revisit it in 6 months or so.  During that time, learn systemd.

I'd agree with that advice in the general case for "mission critical" systems. However I recently did an upgrade to Jessie for an important server because it was having problems with Wheezy. So far I've not experienced any "problems".

In your case, why bother? If the system is running OK with 32bit Wheezy, why "fix" what ain't broke? The commands and services for Wheezy are the same no matter the bit count. You're also unlikely to see any performance difference.

If you are wanting to migrate all your servers to Jessie, wait for the .1 release. While I have few problems with Jessie (and none on the servers), ere on the side of caution.