Re: 32to64 decision

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015, Mailing Lists wrote:

> i have an old small office server providing dhcp/dns/squid/custom
> cyrus debs/postfix/samba services which at the time of lenny did not
> have enough ram to choose the 64bit version.
> now that i've managed to get more ram into it i'd like to migrate it
> to 64bit. nothing really requires 64bit but rather i feel more peace
> of mind knowing i'm getting rid of the last 32bit box.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Less problems.

> which path should i choose:
>
> wheezy32 > wheezy64 > jessie64
> OR
> wheezy32 > jessie32 > jessie64?
>
> which one should be easier?

You're not going to like this . . .   If you really NEED Jessie, clean
install.  No matter what the systemd people say about sysv script
compatibility, I fear that upgrading from Wheezy to Jessie will have
problems.

But if you really NEED 64-bit: Wheezy32 -> Wheezy64; and leave it at
that.  Just because Jessie is the new Stable, doesn't mean Wheezy is an
old, useless workhorse that needs to be "put down."

> I previously did a wheezy32 > wheezy64 for it's backup box and went
> ok, even if there is no comprehensive updated howto documentation
> available (or wasn't I able to find it, if it exists). i am wondering
> if jessie 32to64 is anyway smoother than wheezy 32to64.

For now, until all the problems are ironed out, I'd avoid Jessie.
Revisit it in 6 months or so.  During that time, learn systemd.