SOLVED Re: weird problem with one mail account in Thunderbird....ISP or what ?

On 05/30/2015 05:39 AM, Mart van de Wege wrote:
Frank <debianlist@videotron.ca> writes:

On 05/29/2015 06:52 AM, Mart van de Wege wrote:

It might be possible that someone got hold of your password and is using
your ISPs relay to send out spam. I've seen that happen more than once
in real life.

   They'd need more than my password---Videotron uses an 8-letter
customer identifier and a password to logon via IMAP/POP3/SMTP. Unless
they managed to get a hold of both it wouldn't work although I guess
it's possible (Murphy's Law).

All that is necessary is one login using a wireless network where
someone is running a sniffer, or having a keylogger on your Windows
install (I read you dual-boot?)

  IF it happened it was more likely as a result of checking mail using
my phone which always uses wifi...not suppliers data.

I *have* seen this happen; customers who had no idea how their login
credentials got into spammers' hands, yet their account was being used
to relay spam. I'm not saying it is what happened, just that your ISP
might not be entirely wrong.

Have you tried asking them for logging?

Mart

>  I did as part of a general email I sent them. We'll see what
>happens.

Well I haven't got anything back from them yet...but MIRACLE OF MIRACLES.....the account now works again!!!!! I guess they realized
perhaps after my email...that my computer is not infested with viruses.

I really would like to switch ISPs but basically the only other one
available is Bell Canada....whom I dislike more than Videotron!!

Thanks to all for suggestions and moral support.

Frank