Re: weird problem with one mail account in Thunderbird....ISP or what ?

On 05/29/2015 06:52 AM, Mart van de Wege wrote:
Frank <debianlist@videotron.ca> writes:

On 05/28/2015 02:44 AM, Emil Payne wrote:
On 05/27/2015 10:16 PM, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2015 21:06:10 -0400 Frank sent:

When I went into Thunderbird at mid-day one of my accounts with my
ISP Videotron.ca registered a logon failure..despite the fact nothing
had changed.

I have no answer. However, with my ISP I periodically have the same
problem. I attempt to log on with claws-mail, without changing anything,
no update, no upgrade to the system. No tinkering, nothing at all and of
the two accounts one gives me this error message:

Charlie

That's odd. I have 6 gmail and 8 yahoo accounts. Yesterday all six gmail
accounts wanted the passwords reentered. I have thunderbird set to
remember passwords. At first I couldn't even get anything to enter into
the password box, although the checkbox and buttons worked fine. I
restarted my computer and it immediately stopped, saying no keyboard
found, even though pushing F1 continued booting and ENTER worked at the
grub menu. Once booted in I restarted thunderbird and re-entered the
passwords as saved. Everything works fine now. At the time I had put it
down to intermittent power outages due to t-storms, but now I wonder.

Emil

    The logon failure doesn't bother me as much as what the security
department  at my ISP is claiming....that my system and that account
have been compromised. I can't see how...but that's what they claim.

It might be possible that someone got hold of your password and is using
your ISPs relay to send out spam. I've seen that happen more than once
in real life.

They'd need more than my password---Videotron uses an 8-letter customer identifier and a password to logon via IMAP/POP3/SMTP. Unless they managed to get a hold of both it wouldn't work although I guess it's possible (Murphy's Law).