Re: weird problem with one mail account in Thunderbird....ISP or what ?

On 05/29/2015 02:35 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
On Fri, 29 May 2015 08:31:49 +0200
Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:

On Thu, 28 May 2015 09:21:05 -0400
Frank <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

On 05/28/2015 02:44 AM, Emil Payne wrote:
On 05/27/2015 10:16 PM, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2015 21:06:10 -0400 Frank sent:

When I went into Thunderbird at mid-day one of my accounts with
my ISP Videotron.ca registered a logon failure..despite the fact
nothing had changed.

I have no answer. However, with my ISP I periodically have the
same problem. I attempt to log on with claws-mail, without
changing anything, no update, no upgrade to the system. No
tinkering, nothing at all and of the two accounts one gives me
this error message:

Charlie

That's odd. I have 6 gmail and 8 yahoo accounts. Yesterday all six
gmail accounts wanted the passwords reentered. I have thunderbird
set to remember passwords. At first I couldn't even get anything
to enter into the password box, although the checkbox and buttons
worked fine. I restarted my computer and it immediately stopped,
saying no keyboard found, even though pushing F1 continued booting
and ENTER worked at the grub menu. Once booted in I restarted
thunderbird and re-entered the passwords as saved. Everything
works fine now. At the time I had put it down to intermittent
power outages due to t-storms, but now I wonder.

Emil

     The logon failure doesn't bother me as much as what the
security department  at my ISP is claiming....that my system and
that account have been compromised. I can't see how...but that's
what they claim.

The weird thing is if, while I am on the phone with them they change
the password for that account, and I enter it into Thunderbird, the
account works fine...until I close Thunderbird and re-open it. Then
no password will be accepted by Thunderbird and we are back at
square one. I'm guessing their system catches the IMAP logon and
blocks it, because as we know my system is infested with malware
and viruses.

It's all very frustrating.

I don't quite see why they have any reason to believe your system is
compromised, unless there is something they aren't telling you (and
that would be irresponsible of them, IMHO).

Have you tried with another MUA to see if you get the same behaviour?
And/or tried booting from a live disk and run Thunderbird from that?
This could help determine if the problem is with Thunderbird itself,
your configuration, or somewhere else.

Oh, and are you using IMAP? If so, try POP3 - or the other way around.

  No, I haven't tried POP3 for the same reason as I havn't tried another
MUA...the logon identifier is blocked.