Re: IP performance question

Petter Adsen wrote:
> Reco wrote:
> > May I suggest using etckeeper for this? The tool is invaluable if one
> > needs to answer a question such as "what exactly did I changed a
> > couple of days ago?". The usual caveat is that using etckeeper
> > requires at least casual knowledge of any RCS that's supported by
> > etckeeper (I prefer git for this).
>
> I looked at etckeeper a while back, but I'm not familiar with revision
> control. It is something I could use, to keep track of changes to
> translations I do.

+1 for etckeeper.  It is a tool that I came to lately.  But now having
used it I wouldn't be without it.  It is a really useful safety net.

> From what I understand, it seems git is what most people use these
> days, so maybe that is the best one to learn? I just need something
> that is simple to learn and use.

The biggest advantage to git is that it has the critical mass of users
behind it.  There will always be someone to help you with it.  There
are a huge amount of documentation and tutorials written about it.  If
you learn it then you will be able to use it with the majority of
every other project on the net these days.  There does seem to be a
lot of griping about it but I find it relatively easy to use and so
personally don't understand why some people dislike it so much.

The disadvantage is that people who use hg mercurial and other systems
will complain that their system is easier to use but disadvantaged by
the huge mass of git users.  (shrug)

Bob