Re: IP performance question

On Tue, 26 May 2015 18:18:15 +0300
Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:42:50PM +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > And even worse, after starting to mess with this, browsing is
> > _abysmal_. After taking a few speed tests online (speed.io etc),
> > upload/download and ping times seem good, but the number of
> > connections per minute are severely limited, hovering at ~700. A
> > friend on the same network, just down the street and with the same
> > connection gets over 1800. We are connected to the same node.
> > Whether these tests are trustworthy, though, I have no idea.
>
> And that means jumbo frames bit you. Don't worry, good old iproute
> comes to the rescue.
>
> A start state of non-router host (I'm assuming that eth0 has MTU >
> 1500):
>
> # ip ro l
> default via 192.168.32.1 dev eth0  metric 303
> 192.168.32.0/20 dev eth0  proto kernel  scope link  src
> 192.168.32.227 metric 303
>
> Needed changes:
>
> # ip ro d default
> # ip ro a default via 192.168.32.1 dev eth0 mtu 1500
>

> So, you keep non-standard MTU for your network, but set standard MTU
> for outside world.
>
> An example assumes that 192.168.32.0/20 is an internal network and
> 192.168.32.1 is a router.
>
> The implementation I'd use is a post-up script in
> /etc/network/interfaces. I'm not that familiar with DHCP so I cannot
> comment if it's possible to advertise different MTUs on different
> routes.

Nice, I didn't know I can set MTU for each route. I will need to read
the docs for the DHCP server running on the OpenWRT router, to see if I
can set it there. I'm sure I will find some way around this now.

> > I've tried to set everything back to the defaults, as I've
> > documented every change I've made, but it doesn't seem to help.
> > I'll try to reboot later today if I can, I have so much context up
> > right now that I really don't want to lose, but I haven't made any
> > permanent changes yet, so it should come up the way it was.
>
> May I suggest using etckeeper for this? The tool is invaluable if one
> needs to answer a question such as "what exactly did I changed a
> couple of days ago?". The usual caveat is that using etckeeper
> requires at least casual knowledge of any RCS that's supported by
> etckeeper (I prefer git for this).

I looked at etckeeper a while back, but I'm not familiar with revision
control. It is something I could use, to keep track of changes to
translations I do. From what I understand, it seems git is what most
people use these days, so maybe that is the best one to learn? I just
need something that is simple to learn and use.

Thank you for all your help and advice, I have learned a lot and really
appreciate you taking the time.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"