IP performance question

I've been trying to improve NFS performance at home, and in that
process i ran iperf to get an overview of general network performance.
I have two Jessie hosts connected to a dumb switch with Cat-5e. One
host uses a Realtek RTL8169 PCI controller, and the other has an Intel
82583V on the motherboard.

iperf maxes out at about 725Mbps. At first I thought maybe the switch
could be at fault, it's a really cheap one, so I connected both hosts
to my router instead. Didn't change anything, and it had no significant
impact on the load on the router. I can't try to run iperf on the
router (OpenWRT), though, as it maxes out the CPU.

Should I be getting more than 725Mbps in the real world? Could there be
a driver issue, or some settings that aren't optimal? Unfortunately,
these are the only two hosts I have with Gbit interfaces (except the
router), so I can't test with another host.

Could this be a MB/MiB issue? The iperf man page doesn't say which it
reports. (Well, it says "Mbit/Mbyte", so I assume it does not mean MiB)

Am I missing something obvious? I'm no networking guru, but I'm hoping
to learn something from all of this, so all input is appreciated.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"