Virtual Machines <- Re: Laptops, UEFI, Secure Boot and Debian

On 05/26/2015 05:18 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
Second, virtual machines these days are incredibly easy to set up and
use. Steve Litt posted a link to an introductory article on qemu/KVM
here very recently, I suggest that as a starting point. There is a tool
called "Virtual Machine Manager" (package: virt-manager) that I would
recommend. It is very easy to use, and uses qemu/KVM. Virtualbox from
Oracle is another alternative, though I prefer KVM.

Hey, Petter,

What advantages and/or disadvantages do you find between KVM and Virtualbox...?

Using a VM takes a little bit of resources, but would give you the
ability to run another distribution without having to reboot. You can
run it full-screen, so you can use the desktop just as you normally
would. For increased performance, you can set the virtual machine up to
use a partition (or logical volume) just as a regular installation,
instead of using an image file.

After I buy myself a new laptop for this, I intend to install on it some VM system, haven't decided which yet. I'd be using it for web development (probably Drupal) and so would want to have running browsers for Linux, Windows, and MacOS running to check pages' appearance and functionality. (There are other reasons to run VMs, that's an important one though.)

Any tips you might offer towards this end, including hardware recommendations, would be much appreciated.

Thanks for sharing expertise.