Re: Laptops, UEFI, Secure Boot and Debian

On 23/05/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 2015 23:53:14 -0700
> Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Researching a laptop purchase (within the next 6 months or so) to
>> replace my aging Desktop (1 to 8.5 years depending on which parts).
>> Going to abandoned the Big Box forever.  Need to be very portable in
>> the next year or two. Two questions to begin:
>>
>> 1. Many laptops seem to only be able to turn off Secure Boot through
>> the OS, Windows 8.x, or so I've researched.  However, I've read some
>> makes (Asus, Lenovo, Dell and HP) can do it directly through "BIOS"
>> without needing to boot Windows?  True?  Any others?
>
> I don't have a laptop myself (don't like them), but every one I've seen
> so far has had a switch to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS. AFAIK, that
> switch is mandatory to adhere to the "Built For Windows 8" MS program,

I have previously posted, on this, and, I believe on the GRUB-HELP
list, my findings that, on the Acer computers, the Inshite setup
utility, that is used on Acer "laptop" computers, does not allow
SecureBoot to be switched off within the UEFI boot option; the only
way to not use the apparently Microshite mandated Secure Boot, is to
boot into the Legacy mode, which I have had to do on one system with
Debian 6 LTS installed, and, on a separate system, with Debian 7
installed.

The use of the Legacy boot system, rather than the UEFI boot system,,
was the only way that I could install Debian Linux, on both systems.

Whilst I do not mind so much, booting into the Legacy mode, to use
Debian Linux, thereby avoiding Microshite Windows 8.x, which I have
found to be difficult to use, it kind of defeats the purpose of the
UEFI technology, when the UEFI technology is unusable due to the
Inshite Setup Utility.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale