Re: Laptops, UEFI, Secure Boot and Debian

On 26/05/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 May 2015 12:23:25 +0800
> Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Better yet, for some of these is LXC.  I run several instances of
>> > Debian managed by libvirt on a Gentoo host, with much less overheads
>> > than you get from a VM.
>> >
>> > apt-get install virt-manager bridge-utils libvirt-bin lxc
>> > debootstrap
>> >
>> > will probably get you started.  Use debootstrap to create the
>> > Debian/Ubuntu instances, creating the root filesystems in
>> > /var/lib/libvirt/images, then use virt-manager to set them up in
>> > LXC.
>> >
>> > https://wiki.debian.org/LXC
>> > - --
>> > Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)
>> >
>> > I haven't lost my mind...
>> >   ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.
>>

>> I should probably have been more explicit, in my stating of the
>> question.
>>
>> What I wanted to know, was, given that, in Legacy mode, with GRUB,
>> both Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Debian 7, are installed on the particular
>> computer, and, I can select to boot either one of those, can I simply
>> also install Debian 6 LTS on that system, to have it concurrently
>> installed with Debian 7, and, to be able, using GRUB, to select to
>> boot into one of those operating systems (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, Debian 7,
>> or, Debian 6 LTS), without any interference from the installations of
>> the other operating systems?
>
> Bret, I answered that above.
>
> "If both Wheezy and Trusty are installed in legacy mode the bootloader
> should see all of them."
>
> That means "yes, you can".
>
>> It has taken me about 18 months, to get Debian 7 installed and
>> running, in the state that it now can be run, and so I want to be able
>> to get Debian 6 LTS, installed and running, "with a minimum of fuss".
>
> This should not be a problem, if you have available space on the drive.
>
> Petter

Yes, you had indicated that it should work, but then, others, like
shown in the post above, apparently indicated that to install and run
Debian 6 LTS on a computer that already had Debian 7 installed,
required the use of virtiual machines, and I have no experience in the
installation, administration, and use, combination, regarding virtual
machines.

Many years ago (about 20-25, I think), I used something with a name
like CP/CMS, or, CM/CMS (from memory), that was, I think, a multi-user
virtual machine, running on a mainframe computer that simultaneously
ran (although I did not use it) multi-user CICS/COBOL, but I have no
experience other than what I had then, as a user, relating to virtual
machines, so the suggested, apparently required, installation and
administration and use of virtual machines, in order to install and
use Debian 6LTS, on a computer that had Debian 7 already installed,
appeared too complicated for me.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale