Re: Laptops, UEFI, Secure Boot and Debian

On 26/05/2015, Stuart Longland <stuartl@longlandclan.yi.org> wrote:

> On 24/05/15 19:03, Petter Adsen wrote:
>> If both Wheezy and Trusty are installed in legacy mode the
>> bootloader should see all of them. Dependent on your needs, an
>> easier way might be to just spin up a VM or three with the systems
>> you use the least. KVM is a wonderful thing.
>
> Better yet, for some of these is LXC.  I run several instances of
> Debian managed by libvirt on a Gentoo host, with much less overheads
> than you get from a VM.
>
> apt-get install virt-manager bridge-utils libvirt-bin lxc debootstrap
>
> will probably get you started.  Use debootstrap to create the
> Debian/Ubuntu instances, creating the root filesystems in
> /var/lib/libvirt/images, then use virt-manager to set them up in LXC.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/LXC
> - --
> Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)
>
> I haven't lost my mind...
>   ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

I should probably have been more explicit, in my stating of the question.

What I wanted to know, was, given that, in Legacy mode, with GRUB,
both Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Debian 7, are installed on the particular
computer, and, I can select to boot either one of those, can I simply
also install Debian 6 LTS on that system, to have it concurrently
installed with Debian 7, and, to be able, using GRUB, to select to
boot into one of those operating systems (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, Debian 7,
or, Debian 6 LTS), without any interference from the installations of
the other operating systems?

It has taken me about 18 months, to get Debian 7 installed and
running, in the state that it now can be run, and so I want to be able
to get Debian 6 LTS, installed and running, "with a minimum of fuss".

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."