Re: Boot menu entries

On Sat, 23 May 2015 20:27:39 -0500
Emil Payne <ehspayne@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 05/22/2015 04:56 PM, Brian wrote:

> >> BTW What is the linux-header? Is that just to compile my own? Do I
> >> need to keep these?
> >
> > You are full of questions but very short on saying whether the
> > advice you have been given answers your needs,
> >
> > Delete headers packages too. You put them there and should know
> > whether you need them.
> >

> As far as I know, I never put them there. I've had to reinstall
> Debian a few times lately and it kept adding new entries to the boot
> menu. This is my latest:
>
> $> update-grub2
> Generating grub.cfg ...
> Found background
> image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png Found linux
> image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 Found initrd
> image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64 Found linux
> image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 Found initrd
> image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64 No volume groups found
> done
>
> I'm a home user and know enough to be able to do some technical
> things, but sometimes I don't know everything that they do. I try to
> study the stuff on the web but there is too much conflicting info.
>
> Right now the boot menu is more manageable so I'll leave it at that.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but there is a package floating
around out there called "GRUB Customizer", that you can use to edit the
menu. It wouldn't have uninstalled the extraneous kernels, I think, but
it can be nice if you are not familiar with GRUBs syntax (which I admit
I don't fully understand, either).

As a side note, if you are trying to learn something about Linux, two
of the best resources I have found are the Arch wiki[1] and the Debian
wiki[2]. Another really nice link is the Debian Administrator's
Handbook[3]. Following random advice and running scripts found on a
forum can be quite dangerous, and often don't tell you *why* you need
to do what you need to do. Look for official documentation.

Petter

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/
[3] http://debian-handbook.info/