Re: Boot menu entries

On 05/24/2015 01:20 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2015 20:27:39 -0500
Emil Payne <ehspayne@yahoo.com> wrote:

On 05/22/2015 04:56 PM, Brian wrote:
On Fri 22 May 2015 at 16:24:29 -0500, Emil Payne wrote:

On 05/22/2015 03:24 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:

$ uname -r
3.9-1-amd64

Don't remove the running kernel nor the latest kernel.  Remove
all of the others.

Bob

BTW What is the linux-header? Is that just to compile my own? Do I
need to keep these?

You are full of questions but very short on saying whether the
advice you have been given answers your needs,

Delete headers packages too. You put them there and should know
whether you need them.

As far as I know, I never put them there. I've had to reinstall
Debian a few times lately and it kept adding new entries to the boot
menu. This is my latest:

$> update-grub2
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found background
image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png Found linux
image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 Found initrd
image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64 Found linux
image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64 Found initrd
image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64 No volume groups found
done

I'm a home user and know enough to be able to do some technical
things, but sometimes I don't know everything that they do. I try to
study the stuff on the web but there is too much conflicting info.

Right now the boot menu is more manageable so I'll leave it at that.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but there is a package floating
around out there called "GRUB Customizer", that you can use to edit the
menu. It wouldn't have uninstalled the extraneous kernels, I think, but
it can be nice if you are not familiar with GRUBs syntax (which I admit
I don't fully understand, either).

As a side note, if you are trying to learn something about Linux, two
of the best resources I have found are the Arch wiki[1] and the Debian
wiki[2]. Another really nice link is the Debian Administrator's
Handbook[3]. Following random advice and running scripts found on a
forum can be quite dangerous, and often don't tell you *why* you need
to do what you need to do. Look for official documentation.

Petter

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/
[3] http://debian-handbook.info/

I'm smart enough to realize what's dangerous and dumb enough to try some of it anyway! =P

---
Smart as a horse.
Hung like Einstein.