Re: Query about possible impact of leap second on Debian Linux

Bret Busby wrote:
> ... so, upon checking (using Synaptic) the tzdata package(s), and
> finding they needed updating, apparently without depending on the
> kernel update(s), I have now updated the tzdata packages. There are
> tzdata and tzdata-java, both of which had updates available.

The tzdata package is updated through the stable-updates section, not
to be confused with the security stable/updates section.  They are
similarly named but different update channels.  The stable-updates
path is the one time named "volatile" section for those that remember
it.  It is for updates that by their nature must update more often
than the Debian Stable release and point release cycle.

Packages such as tzdata are updated when governments change the
timezones.  This happens outside of distribution release cycles.

For Debian Stable Jessie 8 the following shows all three sets of
sources that one should have in their sources.list in order to get all
of the updates they should be getting.[*] This is the main archive
where most packages exist, the updates source for packages such as
tzdata, and the security source for security upgrades.

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie main
deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie main

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-updates main
deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-updates main

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main

Bob

[*] Note that httpredir.debian.org is the redirector and the same as
if one had the geographic alias ftp.XX.debian.org where XX is your
country code such as ftp.us.debian.org.  Either is okay.  I am using
the redirector in the documentation above so that it is generic.  If
you have the country code alias version that is fine too.