Re: HELP- very slow download speeds

Darac Marjal wrote:
> Gary Roach wrote:
> > When I start a download, it starts at 50M for the first few
> > seconds and then drops to 500K to 100K range.
>
> Finally, don't rule out the possibility that your ISP is throttling
> you. While you may be synced at 50M and may be able to transfer at that
> for short periods (and thus, the ISP can rightly claim that you have a
> 50M connection), they could conceivably throttle your connection in the
> longer term.

I think this is quite the most likely possibility.  I have only
anecdotal reports from friends but what I hear is that often ISPs
allow a full speed burst but then throttle for long term steady state
data transfer.  That matches your reported behavior exactly.  This
allows customers to run a speed test and have it report full speed but
prevent them from getting that speed for a long download such as a
full system upgrade or a large install ISO image download.  Are you
sure your ISP isn't throttling you?

Bob