Re: Openbox: which packages install to have sound?

On Fri, 15 May 2015 22:24:51 +0000
Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks, but I don't know how.
> >
> > I'm running openbox on my Wheezy systems at home (a ThinkPad and a
> > massive workstation) and haven't needed to create an .asoundrc file.

> >> By running alxamixer I turned all volumes on.  But still no sound.
> >
> > Other questions:
> >
> > 1) What is your sound card's make/model?
> > 2) What are you using as a listening device, ie headphones, basic
> > multimedia speakers, stereo receiver?
> > 3) Did you check your connections.  Are your (assuming) speakers
> > plugged into the audio OUT of your soundcard, and not MIC or Line IN?
> > 4) Did you check volume levels on speakers?
>
> Many thanks to you too.  It's all right now: with alsamixer, I needed unmuting
> everything.

one trap to watch out for is the audio device enables.  i have audio engine speakers and for some reason they were always disabled on boot.  i had to add:

set-default-sink 2
set-default-sink alsa_output.usb-Audioengine_Audioengine_2_-00-A2.analog-stereo

to my /etc/pulse/default.pa file, and it was a royal pain in the neck to figure out that i needed to do that.

just letting you know in case things seem to break on reboot.

Brian