Re: aptitude update errors for upgrade to Jessie on amd64

Brian wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > You are currently using:
> >
> >   deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian jessie main
> >
> > That is okay.  Good!  But for the purpose of this task change that to
> > a different but still valid mirror.  This would be a good time to try
> > out the new http redirector which has just recently become an official
> > Debian resource.[1]
> >
> >   deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie main
> >
> > That httpredir.debian.org was previously known as http.debian.net for
> > those on the list that are familiar with it.
> >
> > This is a good configuration for anyone geographically anywhere as it
> > will redirect to the best known nearby mirror.  The effect for you
> > with this problem is that it will be a different appearing URL than
> > the previously used ftp.fr.debian.org and will therefore ask for
> > different files.  The previously locally cached files on your disk in
> > /var/lib/apt will be expired as no longer being in your sources.list
> > file.  If mismatched cached proxy files are your only remaining
> > problem then this should fix it.  Make sure to 'apt-get update' after
> > changing the sources.list file.
>
> A small reservation, much as we are advocates of http.debian.net in
> these parts. If the intention is to eliminate the mirror as a source
> of a problem it may not be sufficient. For whatever reason, the
> redirector may still choose the mirror you do not want as the best
> one to use.

I still consider the redirector somewhat experimental.  There are
reports that it sometimes does not select the best mirror.  It might
not detect that a mirror has gone out of sync fast enough and leave a
time when it would still be redirecting to a bad mirror.  It can't be
perfect.  However none of the other strategies such as the
ftp.XX.debian.org country code alias set are perfect either.  I have
had to report mirrors in the US set being stuck.  But both schemes
seem to be working pretty well.  That is why think of it as a "try it
out" policy.  Try it.  If it works then great.  If it doesn't for some
reason then continue to use the previous country specific mirrors.
That is my thinking.

Bob